This year, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) announced that they intend to focus on the following priority areas:
- Ensuring small businesses receive the protections of applicable industry codes such as the Franchising Code of Conduct, the Horticulture Code of Conduct, the Oilcode and the Food and Grocery Code of Conduct
- Enforcing new legislative provisions extending unfair contract term protections to small businesses
- Preventing cartel conduct impacting on government procurement
- Ensuring that unsafe products are recalled
- Monitoring consumer guarantees, and focussing on representations made by large retailers about express and extended warranties
- Encouraging vehicle manufacturers and new car retailers to invest in aftersales care.
This is not an exhaustive list of the ACCC’s 2016 priority areas. For more information visit the ACCC website.
Please look out for our future articles relating to these priority areas.
If you have immediate queries about the above priority areas and how they might affect your business, please contact us.