The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the rise of online shopping, and in-store retail has shifted towards the experience economy.
Mixed use concepts are more popular, as are private label goods. Online, social commerce and the use of AI for everything from guided discovery to adaptive home pages, is changing the experience for consumers. Interactive retail experiences and cross-industry collaborations are blurring the line between traditional verticals and on/off-line retail. Yet more traditional issues persist, with workplace health & safety being an example: retail continues to record one of the highest incidents of injuries per hours worked.
This experience translates into advice that is practical and workable.
- under the Spam Act 2003 (Cth)
- experience developing anti-counterfeit programs and working with Customs enabled us to advise clients in the automotive and cosmetic industries on counterfeit sellers online
- experience in online retail led us to advising Kogan on various agreements with technology platform providers
- expert advertising law team led to us being asked to deliver advertising law training to major retailers, including Country Road and House
- privacy expertise allowed us to advise a client on in-store customer tracking technology
- understanding the retail franchising space allowed us to advise Endota on franchising issues
- history of working with online retailers led to us being appointed by global fashion marketplace Depop as their legal service provider when they launched their app and business in Australia
- advice to an Australian household name retailer in relation to a WorkCover premium issue
- assistance to House in relation to its retail lease portfolio
- understanding of supply issues allowed us to advise an online retailer in a dispute with a supplier of COVID-19 detection tests
We advise retailers on all of the issues that any business faces, as well as those specific to online or in-store retail.
- collection and storage of customer personal information
- consumer claims
- customer T&Cs
- IT agreements
- marketing and promotion
- manufacturing and supply agreements
- product defects and safety issues
- product warranties and guarantees
- public and product liability
- retail leases
- workplace health & safety
- sales practices